I am currently available for contracting. This now page shares what’s occupying my time at the moment. If you have your own website, you might want to create one as well.
- I help cross functional teams develop and coordinate strategies. This includes writing code, analyzing data, and communicating results.
- I am passionate about Clojure/Lisp and Jupyter/Python notebooks.
- I am most interested in initiatives that address the social and ethical issues of our time.
I’m consulting with a team at Ruca on an open digital identity system. My role as a technical consultant is to provide a cultural, historical, and technological context for their overall strategy. I can’t talk much about the project at the moment, but I can say that Ruca’s background as a global design cooperative means they have a unique approach to the problem. I’m excited.
Preparing for my Jupyter Community: Tools and Practices Talk, “Dr. Schmood’s Notebook of Python Calisthenics and Orthodontia” at JupyterCon 2020.The summary for “Dr. Schmood’s Notebook of Python Calisthenics and Orthodontia”: Explore the benefits of taking a functional approach when writing Python in Jupyter notebooks: reduce errors caused by out-of-order execution and hidden state while producing more readable code.
I am working on three projects related to software preservation in art.The abstract for “Software Preservation in Networked Art”: “Art became increasingly abstract and conceptual throughout the 1900s, concluding the century in complete ephemerally on the internet. A brief survey of net art from the 1990s and early 2000s will demonstrate the subsequent challenges faced by many curators and preservationists. Their struggles with the absence of the art object typifies the difficulties of preserving our shared digital heritage. In this way, artists are forced to engage questions that progress-oriented scientists and engineers tend to ignore. The seminar will address the existential questions, current best practices, and future technologies that may help to combat the generational loss of information.”
- Collaborating on an untitled chapter on software preservation with Elisabetta Mori and Patricia Falcao for an edition edited by Liesbeth De Mol: PROGRAMme Research Into the History and Philosophy of Computing. Art will form a cornerstone of our thesis.
- Preparing a talk 133° Nexa Wednesday Seminar at the Nexa Center for Internet & Society on 14 October 2020: “Software Preservation in Networked Art”.
- Working with a collaborator on a TBA short form article.
A secret book project.
- Bach: Music in the Castle of Heaven by John Eliot Gardiner (2015)
- Lankavatara Sutra (350-400 CE) translated by Red Pine
- Computation and Human Experience by Philip E. Agre (1997)
I just finished 81 Little Lions by Immanuel de Villers.
- I am tracking 🇮🇹 The Corona Virus in Turin, Italy using a computational notebook on Nextjournal.
- I submitted my contribution to Dick Van Lente’s Prophets of Computing book. My chapter is on Commodore’s growth during the mainframe era and its subsequent contributions to personal computing.